This delicious yet simple pasta recipe is one of my favourites! It is my go-to recipe when I want a quick yet tasty meal and can be tailored to your taste by adding your own choice of vegetables or cheese.
Overall time needed: 20 mins
Ingredients (for 2):
1 red onion
4 garlic cloves
4 tablespoons plain flour
100g mature cheddar cheese (or to taste)
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
Tablespoon of olive oil
- Boil the pasta as instructed on the packet and leave to boil as you prepare the sauce.
- Prepare your ingredients for the sauce: Chop the mushrooms, onions and finely chop the garlic cloves. Grate the cheese.
- Add the olive oil to the frying pan (for this recipe, a wok-style pan works best) and leave to simmer on a medium heat till the oil is hot.
- Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms to the pan and fry for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the plain flour to the pan and stir so all the vegetables are covered in the flour.
- Turn the heat to low, and pour the milk in the pan. Stir to avoid lumps, and leave to simmer on a low heat for until the mixture starts to boil. This should take approximately 1 – 2 minutes
- Add the grated cheese to the pan and stir until the cheese is melted
- Add a pinch of salt, pepper and any other seasoning to taste, A few sprigs of fresh rosemary can add a great touch.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce, if the sauce is too thick you may want to add some more milk to thin it down.
- The pasta is ready to serve. You may want to add a few chopped cherry tomatoes or spinach leaves to garnish.