I’d always thought of paella to be something that I’d only eat in restaurants as it seemed super complex (and expensive!) to make at home. I couldn’t have been more wrong and now it’s become one of my favourite home cooked meals.
Traditionally, some of the ingredients used to make paella are expensive, however using frozen seafood can make a huge difference. Either defrost in the fridge overnight or in the microwave on the defrost setting. You can also add mussels too to the recipe below!
Ready in 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 prawns
- 1 chicken breast, chopped into chunks
- Handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 50ml white wine
- Large pinch of saffron strands
- 75g cooking chorizo, chopped into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 scallops
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 50g peas
- 100g risotto rice
- 250ml chicken stock
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the chicken, chorizo and onion and fry for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock and white wine and then add the risotto rice. Add the garlic and saffron continue to stir for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, peas, prawns, scallops and squid and reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Leave to cook for 10-15 minutes and continue to stir every few minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, parsley and some salt and pepper to taste, and serve.