This recipe is a cupcake adaptation of a traditional tea-time favourite! The best part of these cupcakes is the mascarpone icing, which is creamy and not overly sweet like other icing types.
This recipe will make around 12 cakes.
Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking: 20 mins
- 100g butter
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp instant coffee, mixed with 100ml boiling water, then cooled
- 25g chopped walnuts with 12 more for decoration
For the icing:
- 200ml mascarpone
- 2tbsp light muscovado sugar
- Heat the oven to gas mark 4 and line a cake tin with cupcake cases.
- Beat the butter, sugar, flour and eggs in a large bowl with 2tsp of the coffee mixture until creamy.
- Add a pinch of salt and the chopped walnuts
- Spoon the cake mix into the cases and bake for 18 – 20 mins in the middle of the oven until golden.
- To make the icing, put the mascarpone and 2tsp of the coffee and sugar into a bowl and beat together. The icing should be slightly runny.
- Spread the icing on top of each cupcake and decorate with some chopped walnuts
- If the icing is too runny, you can place the cakes in the fridge for an hour to set. Enjoy!