I am a firm believer of packed lunches, and spend most of my Sunday evenings meal-prepping for the week. Hence why I’m super excited to launch this new ‘packed lunch’ recipe section on my blog! I genuinely hate spending money on an overpriced salad or sandwich from a supermarket for lunch, plus home cooking is always healthier.
Also, on a side note, I love this lunchbox, which was a birthday gift from my lovely colleagues because I get so hungry that I usually end up eating my lunch by 11:30am!
Over the years I’ve come up with some great recipes which I can’t wait to share with you guys… Starting with my spicy chicken and chickpea salad! Now that the weather’s (finally) getting warmer I’m switching up my soups to salads. This salad is packed with protein meaning it’s actually filling and will keep you going throughout the day. I find it doesn’t really need a dressing because the seasoning on the chicken and the chickpeas ends up spreading and diffusing through the salad, but you can add a dressing of your choice if you prefer!
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 chicken breast, chopped into small cubes
- 50g chickpeas
- 25g sweetcorn
- 3 sundried tomatoes, chopped into slices
- 25g mozzarella cheese, chopped into small chunks
- A handful of rocket leaves
- 10 olives
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 25g cucumber, chopped into small cubes
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1. Fry the chicken cubes in olive oil on a medium heat for 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
2. Add the chickpeas and sweetcorn to the pan. Then add the mustard seeds, garlic, paprika, garam masala, ground coriander and a pinch of salt and pepper to the pan and cook in the spices on a low heat and leave to simmer for 5 minutes. Leave to cool while you prepare the rest of the salad.
3. Add the rocket leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, sundried tomatoes, olives and mozzarella to your lunch box and then add the cooked chicken and chickpea mix. Toss the salad so that all the ingredients are mixed together.
4. Store in the fridge until ready to eat and then enjoy!